Tips To Maintain The beauty Of Your Wood Cabinets
Kitchen cabinets are the most essential component in any kitchen. Your kitchen’s beauty depends on your cabinets. They keep your life organized and your kitchen clean. They are the first thing a guest will notice about your kitchen. Cabinet also play an important role in increasing the value of your house. Maintaining them in a proper way is very important. Many people make mistakes in how they care for their cabinets which can cause them to wear more quickly. So here are some tips that will help you take care of your cabinets.
Tips for maintaining the beauty of cabinets
- Avoid excessive heat- Self cleaning appliances such as ovens generate a lot of heat during a cleaning cycle and if this heat escapes from the oven, it can damage your cabinets. So make sure you protect your cabinet doors and drawers that are near the oven before using its self cleaning feature. This will help to prevent possible damage to the cabinets.
- Avoid light damage- Direct sunlight can darken the color of natural wood products. It can also fade painted, laminated and thermo-foil wood surfaces. Use blinds to make sure your cabinets are safe from direct sunlight.
- Avoid excessive moisture- Moisture is one of the worst enemies of cabinets. Cabinetry near the sink, dishwasher and baseboards are more prone to moisture. Moisture can cause permanent damage, like peeling and discoloration, to the cabinet’s finish. Dry cabinets off immediately any time water or liquid has spilled. Avoid draping damp clothes or dishtowels over cabinet doors as well.
- Humidity control is important- Humidity control is important! If it is not controlled it can cause wood to expand and contract, swell or wrap and dry out. It will damage wood and your cabinetry.
- Regular cleaning- Cleaning with the appropriate materials will help prevent long- term damage to your cabinet. Use a clean cloth dampened with a solution of mild dish washing liquid and water to remove oil, grease, food residue or daily spills.
- Roller and Ball bearing slide systems- These slides are lubricated with grease from the manufacturer to ensure smooth quit operation and long life. Don’t remove this grease during cleaning.
- Cleaning of glass cabinet doors- Extra care is required to clean the glass doors. To clean, spray an ammonia- free glass cleaner on a soft, clean, cloth or paper towel and then wipe the glass. Be sure not to spray cleaner directly on the glass as it can cause damage by seeping behind the dividers.
- Cleaning of hardware- Use mild soap and warm water to clean door/ drawer knobs or pulls. After that dry all hardware joints, surfaces and the surrounding area with a clean, soft cloth. Hinges can be cleaned using cotton- tipped swabs and wetting them is not necessary.